Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mushroom Warning



Dangerous to Children and Pets

The local press is reporting a case of Yellow Point dog breeder who recently lost two puppies who had eaten a variety of these mushrooms.

According to the websites I got the pictures from they are identified as Amanita pantherina (top and middle) and Amanita muscaria (bottom picture).

The mushroom identified as killing the puppies is Amanita pantherina which grows among tree roots, most commonly fir trees and other conifers and contains the toxic substance muscarina.

While puppies are more likely to eat the deadly mushroom than adult dogs they clearly present a serious risk to small children who will put just about anything in their mouths.

A local mushroom picker says that while a few varieties of Amanita mushrooms are edible he steers clear of them all.

allvoices

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after moderation before publishing,

Thank you for your comments.Any comment that could be considered slanderous or includes unacceptable language will be removed.

Thank you for participating and making your opinions known.