|Photo credit City of Nanaimo|
Construction costs estimated $2.8 - $4.6 million
Design and construction costs to date $854,000
Substantial completion date expected - April 15/16
Work completed on the auxiliary spillway construction project to date:
- Copcan is mobilized on site with an all weather haul road and temporary bridge across Harewood Creek in place
- Erosion and sediment controls are in place along the reservoir edge and Harewood Creek
- The site for the spillway structure and channel is cleared.
- Top soil was stockpiled for reuse after completion of the project.
- The Stage 1 excavation is complete and the remaining excavation is underway.
- The secant pile cut-off wall is complete.
- Structure formwork is being prefabricated.
- The girders and rebar has been ordered.
Work remaining to be complete:
- Final excavation for the structure.
- Form erection, rebar, pouring and construction of the structure.
- Backfill of the structure.
- Channel excavation and rock lining.
- Removal of a portion of the secant wall fronting the spillway.
- Removal of the soil plug between the spillway and reservoir.
- Site cleanup, restoration and landscaping.
Construction costs are still projected to be between $2.8 to $4.6 million and these estimates will be refined as the project proceeds. Based on the completed design plans the project team has revised the construction timeline and the City has asked the Province to extend the substantial completion date to April 15, 2016. The Province still needs to approve the extension.